Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 2 Agueda




A 25 km slog today in hot conditions. The tarmac roads knock the feet around, and I have very well developed blisters on both heels. The first hour in the morning is rugged as is the first 10 minutes after a break. Staying tonight at a lovely Pensao. Had a very nice beef dinner, but could not do it justice. The condition of my feet is worrying, and I just hope they do not get infected. The heat of the tarmac is the big problem. The lady at the Pensao was saying the weather is unseasonably hot, and was 41C at 1am a day or 2 back. I believe it. Walking was through some vineyard areas, and the town of Agueda is just across the river, as is meant to be the turismo, but no that is shifted. After 2 slogs up abd down the hill to the main street we were directed to it.
2 Angels today.
Man stopped us about 5 kms out of Agueda, signals us over, and handed us a couple of bottles of bottled water each, and a couple of apples, wished us Bon Viajem and off he went.
I asked a lady at Agueda directions to the turismo, she went in to a shop to ask, leaving her child in pram with me, came out and told us directions. Off we go to the building, but found the door shut closed for the day. We retired towards a cafe, and the lady comes tearing down the hill with some council fellow, who then directed us to the other side of the building and the turismo. Very friendly folk.

2 comments:

CM Águeda :: Gabinete de Comunicação said...

Hi! I loved reading your entry. I've been helping people around here in Águeda, sometimes they get lost or look for the stamp... the works on the tourist office really annoy you all, I know. Hope to read from you soon!

Luiza said...

Hi Ashley,

I feel your pain. Any chance of wearing sandals to walk for a couple of days? I saw many pilgrims wearing sandals while at Ave Fenix this year. I can't do it, it may be mental but I believe that I ned the boots however, maybe you can walk in sandals to give those heels a break.

I am with you and have sent Reiki ... hope it helps.

Buen camino
Luiza