Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 35 Made it! Yee ha. Santiago de Compostela

Walked the last 4.5 kms this morning, and arrived shortly after 9.






I went to the Pilgrims Office, and got my Compostela.






Attended the Pilgrim Mass at mid-day, and heard in Spanish ¨ Roncesvalles Una Australiano¨. That was me guys. Looking back, it feels like that was not so hard was it. But I remember the first morning at Roncesvalles thinking what have I got myself into, and the the despair I felt at Ponferrada with tendonitis. Still have it, and blisters to match.

Did the pilgrim things of hand on the Mateo Column, hug the statue, and saw the relics.



It was great ringing home telling Cristina I am there.

In a rambling order:
I thank everyone for their support and comments along the way, that helped heaps.
Steve K, I hope the beer was good, it sure was here, thanks for the prodding.
To Vicki Mc, your help has been wonderful, you are a big part.
Jason, thanks mate.
Jennifer, that book started it.
Steve S, thanks for the wishes.
To the work folk who followed me, I thank you.
And Steve O´Shea for your company on this journey and catalysts for thought, thanks mate.
Those I have not mentioned I thank you.
And especially Mirabel, Carlos and the nameless Shoeman, you got your thoughts at Santiago.
To the boys, love you and see you soon. To Corinne, the nail is still there. To Brady, Roos V Carlton, you were lucky I was away, but I still think you owe me 20.
But most of all, to ´Tina, thanks for the support of my wild dreams, you are such a part of this. Have I told you, I have another idea... Love you heaps.

Now, I would like to just go home. Adios amigos. Dreams can come true.

9 comments:

mummytina said...

You and your ideas, guess what I have plenty of my own. Congratulations on your accomplishment, much better idea than running with the bulls. We love you lots back here, we are proud of you, but now mostly we are looking forward to seeing you at the airport, if I don't get lost. Love Cristina, Callum and Riley.

JIJOONG said...

Congratulations, you did it!
Have a good rest and happy reunion with your family. Hope to have you back here ASAP.
Cheers,

JJ

Greg said...

Congratulations Ashley.

I saw this quote the other day,
"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have changed", Nelson Mandela, A Long Walk.

Jen said...

Don't you have to turn around and go back now?

Vince said...

Well, it looks like congratulations are in order! We wish you a safe journey home to your family and friends. Well done.

(Miffy reckons that you need to walk back to the start for a proper walk.....) ;)

AB said...

Congratulations bloke!
What's next?
Anyhow wear those blisters with pride you've earnt them!
750+km/35days = Extreme walking!

Safe trip home

catman said...

Ashley,
Congratulations. We have a spot reserved for you on the Everest climb now you have passed the first test.
Cats are still firing. tools and crows in one year...now that is nearly spiritual.
catman2

Jen said...

Now seriously - well done!
It is a great accomplishment to follow your dreams and as Paulo Coelho says in "The Pilgrimage" ... to fight the good fight.

Goncalo Coelho said...

Congratulations Ashley, very hard work but you Did it, Well Done.
I wish you a safe trip back home,
Love you all.
Goncalo Coelho