Friday, June 1, 2007

Day 24 Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo

Had an informal, international mass at the monastery in Rabanal. The monastery is half excavated internally, and was something very special. Exposed sarcofaghi dating back probably a thousand years, complete with bones.
A very cold, wet and windy day for the climb to the highest point on the Camino at the Cruz de Ferro. We were generally walking directly into the oncoming weather. Had a long stay at a small village on the way up waiting for the weather to clear. It did not. Pushed on to the Iron Cross, and left a small stone from Bird Island South Australia, in memory of K, B & D. Also left a small cockle shell with wishes for some other people special to me.
Not quite what I expected, but completed a major part of the journey for me.
Pushed on with weather clearing to El Acebo, having to stop there because my left shin is giving me a lot of grief.
Nice albergue, where the exit does not open until 0645. That stops the boofheads departing in the dark. Magic mountain views, and I have some great photos.
Had a lovely dinner with 2 German ladies. My comment that Germans did not have a sense humour went down a treat. Pea and Ham, followed by Grilled Lomo (Pork) and Fruit Salad, swilled down with Vino Tinto.

No comments: