Saturday, September 25, 2010

Home at last.







Spent Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning at Lisbon. Again, I stayed at the pensao Nova Goa who were good to hold a bag of clean clothes etc for me for the time I was on the walk. Monday did the tourist stuff. I am now a tourist not a peregrino! Open top bus tour of Lisboa Monday morning. Got off at the Tower of Belem, and walked down to the Monument to the Navigators, reflecting Portugal's great age of discovery in the 14th and 15th centurys (think Vasco de Gama, Bartholemu Dias, Henry the Navigator, Ferdinad Magellan?, discovery of Brazil, first to round the African continent, expeditions to India). The Tower of Belem was built to defend the Rio Tagus. Walked under the road to get to the Monasteirio Geronimos. I was looking forward to this, as I went there in 1993 with Patty. Closed on Mondays! B!!. Caught a tram back to Lisbon, as the tourist bus was a PITA to find and get on. Later in the evening took the cheap harbour tour - a passenger ferry across the Tagus to Cacilhas? and back. It was just on sun down and quite atmospheric.
Tuesday morning I took a dodgy taxi ride to the airport with some German folk, to begin the butt numbing trip back to Australia.
Reflections:
  • I found this harder in some ways than the Camino Frances. I think I expected it to be easier, I had insufficient long walks in the legs and in particular the feet. I worked up in winter conditions, so unlike the summer conditions in Portugal. A 20C jump in temperature impacted big time.
  • The blisters coloured the early experience, and it may have been wiser starting in Porto, and hence have less tarmac walks at the start.
  • I had not learned the footcare lessons applicable to me. Cream the feet early and often, a thin pair of inner socks, and beware of infection. For me, Compeed added to the feet woes.
  • The spiritual experience was there, but much more hidden. The lack of pilgrim masses were part of this.
  • Angels are real, just not in the guise you may expect.
  • Wonderful travel companions add to the enjoyment. I have had good companions on both caminos.
  • Santiago de Compostela is highly commercial, you need to dig below it.
  • Pilgrims can be obnoxious, I know I was at times.
  • Finsterre is gorgeous, the perfect conclusion.
  • The big fella helps the mind, the mind helps the body.
  • Family and friends are great motivators and support even at long range.
  • I am not getting any younger, I sure felt it in terms of range and endurance.
  • And finally, Germans DO have a sense of humour.


Thankyou to those who have stuck with me to this point. As you will see I have finally uploaded some photos.
Adeus
Ashley

1 comment:

Luiza said...

I loved reading your Blog again. The points you write about the Camino are insightful.

The reason I started in Porto was that I knew Portugal and that the walks before Porto were tarmac.

Cream the feet! Compeed and my feet also do not go together.

Angels are real ...

Guilty! I too can be obnoxious.

Finisterre holds a special place in my heart. I received my 'lesson' from the 2002 Camino while sitting on the rocks with Sheila. Too personal to share.

We know from our friends in 2007 that Germans really do have a sense a humor.

Love always,
Luiza