Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 3 Albergaria-a-Velha




A shorter walk of 17 kms today. Last night, I thought even that was not going to be possible. It was cool and foggy early, and a much more pleasant walk, the last 5-6 kms was a slog through a forest before the town. Cute country town, and we are staying at another Pensao above what appears to be a pub. I am hoping to balance that by staying at a monastery in 2 days time! The next 2 stages into Oporto are long, and might try to make 3 stages out of it to allow the body some recovery, and considering taking the beach/coast way the other side of Oporto. We hope to get away earlier tomorrow as we have been starting too late and missing the best walking conditions. Did I tell you I had an awesome sleep and vivid dreams last night, the magic starts..
I also must pass an important message to Work W when I get back (this is a reminder). Spirits are high when the temperature is down, but the heat takes its toll, and I am considering options should the heat continue, I want to reach Santiago again, and get a Compostela, but I have done enough hard yards before, and will lower my expectations/ change my methods if I have to.
This camino is solitary in so many ways. We have seen no other peregrinos, neither to Fatima (coming towards us) or to SdeC travelling our way. People do stop to talk and ask if we are travelling to Santigo de Compostela, and wish us the best.
My glasses broke today, optician man fixed them and would not take money, indicating a prayer for him in Santiago would do. Camino Frances revisted!
Internet access is awkward, plenty of free WIFI, but I am not carrying anything to access (left that in Lisboa). Posts may be sporadic, and I may get Cristina to update things if I cannot.
Probably aiming for Olivera de Azemeis tommorow, or a little further to Sao Joao if things are really good.
Ate logo

8 comments:

JIJOONG said...

Hello Ashley,
It looks like your feet are playing up again. Blisters in hot weather....Ouch.

JIJOONG said...

On the flip side, the weather here is horrible....thunderstorm!!! COLD, DARK AND LOUD.

Chris said...

Keep it up fella.
Have you thought of sprinting a few miles at the end of the day to work out the soreness????

JIJOONG said...

2-3 more days later, you get to Porto right? You should have a period of rest and recuperation there. At times, I look at the street views of your whereabouts through Google earth.

Yesterday, we had a group meeting with half the group...it took two hours!!!! "Project X: automated tracking of FF" was also brought up in the meeting Ha ha.
Cheers~

Dave said...

Hi Ashley.
Keep hanging in there but take care of your feet. As jijoong said, the weather here is completely different to what you are encountering.

Unknown said...

Not getting the menu this time - is the food good?

Jason said...

dream well

Kerr Family said...

Ashley,
Hangin there. Keep the blisters dry and clean and they will be right in a couple of days. Otherwise it is a bloody long walk on your tip toes. The boys are getting together today, hopefully the weather induced cabin fever will be kept under control.