Saturday, March 24, 2007

Why?

Why am I setting out on this strange journey?
It is a long story, with a detour ...
Many years ago, in my 20's, I read a book by James A. Michener, 'The Drifters'. In it was described, the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. It became an ambition of mine, to run with the Bulls when I turned 50. I knew it was a seemingly pointless act, but something about the irrational, senseless act was attractive, especially to a logically driven engineer.
Fast forward to a new century, I am divorced, re-married, and the father of 8 year old twins. It is not reasonable to risk life and limb for an irrational goal with young children, so scratch that ambition.
The detour, well my wife was born in Portugal, and comes from a family called Coelho (Rabbit). Browsing in a bookstore, I came across a Brazilian author called Coelho, Paulo Coelho (see http://www.paulocoelho.com/engl/) . On a whim, I bought one of his books. 'The Alchemist' if I recall correctly, and from there a succession of his books. They are mystic/spirtual books with a message, and a good read. One of these books, I read 3-4 years ago, is called 'The Pilgrimage', and describes his journey along an ancient Pilgrim's trail in the North of Spain to Santiago. This started an interest in the Pilgrim's Trail known as the 'Camino de Santiago de Compostela'.
It is trail across Spain ending in Santiago de Compostela, and there are many variants, the most popular being the Camino Frances, originating in the Pyrenees. It has been a Pilgrim destination for over 1100 years, and some guides say it goes back to pagan times when the trail ended in Finisterre (literally end of the earth). Santiago is spanish for Saint James, and this is where the remains of Saints James (the Greater) are reputed to be buried. Compstela means 'Field of Stars'. For the connection see http://www.red2000.com/spain/santiago/. Though in general it is described as the 'Way of St James'.
That covers the what more than why. The why is probably a combination of physical, cultural, emotional and spiritual factors, but over ridden by a strange drive or a calling to to do it. The last I do not understand, but it is as if it is destiny. Strange reasons to set out on 750km walk from Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostela., but folklore has it to open your self to the signs and go where it may lead, and I have felt that. I might expand on that sometime ...

3 comments:

Sil said...

Here begins the Journey
Now begins the Day.
With one step upon the Road
My soul is on its Way.

Buen Camino peregrino

Jason said...

Thanks. I've read the Alchemist, but in our previous discussions, I've never made the connection.

Kerr Family said...

Good Luck Ashley, see you before you go.