Sunday, March 25, 2007

Training

How does one prepare for a 35 dayish walking journey across 750km in a foreign land?
A list might include logistics, physical & cultural.
Logistics: How to get there, what to take (and what to leave), communication.
The Airline tickets are booked to Madrid, then Pamplona. In Pamplona, I need to post travel clothes and stuff to Santiago. Everything I don't wish to carry. Then take an evening bus to Roncesvalles. Some where along the way, I need to get a Credencial to allow me to stay in the albegues or refugios, the pilgrim hostels. I have no bookings at the other end, who knows when I will get there, my best guess is about 35 days later. I have a friend meeting me in Santiago if all goes to plan. Supposedly pilgrims get a half cost plane ticket back to Madrid? Failing that, then it will be the train. See some sights, then back to Australia. Wisdom has it that the pack should weigh less than 10kg or 10% of body weight (must try to put on some weight :<) ). Mobile phone number is to be arranged, possibly a pre-paid spanish card, but I am aiming to try to get net access to keep this blog updated. Still some clothing to be sorted out, but at least the boots are worn in. Physical: Been pretty slack with the training. My longest walk in preparation has been about 12.5km. I will need to do about twice that each day. Training walks have included, Kadina to Wallaroo several times, Banksia Park to Campbelltown a few times, numerous local walks, and more recently several hikes up and down Anstey's Hill with a full pack. I am finding trekking poles a great asset climbing the hill. Anstey Hill - http://members.ozemail.com.au/~davelane/ This might also work http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Banksia+Park,+SA,+Australia&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=15&ll=-34.830837,138.734922&spn=0.021594,0.048494&iwloc=addr Google Earth gives heights as a function of cursor position, but I have not worked out how to link to it yet.

Cultural: Plenty of guides to the Camino, the problem is choosing just one to take (it is all weight!). My daughter and I have been doing a WEA Spanish for Fun and Travel course. It has been fun. When it comes to Spanish, I hope they speak good English, por favor y gracious.

1 comment:

mummytina said...

Not long to go now and I think Im missing you already